red velvet babycakes
There’s this magic trick with baked goods. Start with any real life sized goodie: cakes, cupcakes, pies, croissants, etc etc. Take those and shrink them down to mini size….awwww. So irresistable. Oh and take it up a notch by naming them “Cutie Pies” or “Babycakes” or “Honey Buns.” Way more cuteness than I can handle.
Or Zoo Borns.
Red Velvet Babycakes
(adapted from Gimme Some Oven)
1 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour (150 grams)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (11 grams)
food coloring as needed (I used two 0.25 ounce liquid bottles)
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar (152 grams)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Italicized ingredients/measurements are those differing from the original recipe.
1. Mix flour and salt together in a small bowl.
2. Mix food coloring and cocoa powder together in a small bowl with a spoon to make the cocoa paste.
3. Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Add eggs, vanilla, and cocoa paste.
4. Add 1/3 flour, beat, 1/2 milk, beat, 1/3 flour, beat, 1/2 milk, 1/3 flour. I
5. In a cup, mix baking soda and vinegar together (it should fizz), then mix into cake batter. Fold one tablespoon flour in to batter.
6. Fill butter & floured cake pans (mine were four inch springform pans) 1/2-3/4 full. Bake 26-28 minutes at 250 degrees F.
7. Frost with 1/2 recipe vanilla cream cheese frosting.